Saturday, January 12, 2008

Musing #8

Taken Away
this was written a year ago while I was still on deployment...

I was looking out over the Indian Ocean this evening and I saw a beautiful sight. The sea was glassy calm. As the ship passed through the water the phosphor (photo luminescent algae) was glowing brightly in the ships wake. The phosphor was bright electric neon blue - not like in the North Atlantic where the phosphor is neon green and not nearly as bright.
As the waves crashed down and the water churned from the props the ships wake glowed a path into the inky black darkness. It glowed in the foam and created lighting bright strings rippling like plasma across the wave tops.
Then to my amazement, I could hear splashes off in the distance. At first, I could not figure out what it was, then the splashes came closer and I could see huge “blasts” of phosphor spouting into the air. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I could see more. Finally, I saw what caused those mini explosions in the phosphor. Dolphins were jumping the waves in our wake, merrily playing and jumping giving us an unbelievable light show to the likes few have ever seen.
Taken aback, all the days’ problems and troubles just washed away, if only for a few moments. Tonight was one of those times when I knew in my heart I belong at sea. For only a moment I was taken away, I was no longer onboard the ship I was just watching nature at it’s finest soaking in everything, the sights and sounds of the magnificent show before me. There was no better place on earth, then right here.

No comments:

The Places I"ve Visited







Google