Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Musing #5

I have heard numerous words to describe how I view coffee. Some say I’m fanatical, while others will say I am just plain nuts. I have been called everything from a drug dealer to the coffee man. Then there are some, a very select few, which call me a connoisseur. Even though there are many different opinions about me and my coffee the one universal opinion is that I have the best coffee on the ship.
I am sure you are wondering what about my coffee is different. I roast my own coffee beans, every week. Yes onboard the ship. I have over 30 pounds of green coffee beans onboard from every different coffee growing region on the face of the earth. I can tell you the difference in coffees by country and region.
If you simply tell me what you like about coffee I can give you three or four recommendations on the spot. Chances are I have at least one of them onboard and can roast you some the next time I am roasting.
Do I have your attention yet? Did you know that coffee is not supposed to be bitter or sour? Not fresh coffee, fresh roasted coffee that is! I have sailors from all over the ship that come by weekly just to get a bag of coffee from me. The best part, I think, is that the finest coffee in the world can be bought for a fraction of the price of roasted coffee. On average I spend around 5 dollars a pound for coffee. The same coffee from a gourmet shop would cost around $30.00 to $40.00 per pound.
Am I obsessed? I don’t think so, I believe that I just enjoy some of the finer things and I am willing to go the extra mile to get them. Do I mind the name calling and the kidding? Not at all, I know that deep down every coffee drinker onboard wishes they had my “True Brew” coffee in their cup everyday.

No comments:

The Places I"ve Visited







Google